Although I've been sewing since age 15, a couple years ago I began making story-telling quilts for friends near and far. Now they are available to you too! These quilts capture your memories and delight the family. They are hand-designed patterns made primarily of cotton and flannel, but any fabrics can be used, including linen, denim, and satin. Send in your own fabrics (Tshirts or used clothing with sentimental value), if you like!
The custom quilts come with an original "story of you” that can be “read” from top to bottom, left to right. Four original designs are also available: Frankenstein, "A European Childhood," "Western Pacific," and Alice in Wonderland. Two quilts made of Japanese Kimono silk came to life in spring 2020; for photos of all these gorgeous creations, see the HGBG Etsy site!
Each of these lightweight three-ply blankets is unique, of course. In two to three weeks,
I will produce a work of textile art in vibrant color, images, and imaginative symbols. Backs are in cotton or flannel. (To see how a quilt is made, check out the posts of Aug. 2- Aug. 13, 2019
Prices vary according to size and design:
Baby / Toddler or Lap-size quilt (36" x 45"): $399.99
Couch throw or Single bed (48" x 75"): $499.99
Original HGBG designs
"A European Childhood," and "Alice in Wonderland (small)"
(36" x 45"): $399.99
"Frankenstein" quilts no. 2 or 3 (36"x 45"): $524.99
"Western Pacific" and "Alice in Wonderland (large)"
(48" x 75") : $499.99
Japanese Kimono silk quilts, no. 1 or 2
(48" x 75"): $1024.99
Undecided? Let's arrange a Zoom meeting to see
the quilts in person!
Custom orders will by done by Zoom, or email with a photo of the person or
people to be honored, sent to email@example.com.
"A European Childhood," "Frankenstein," and Japanese Kimono silk styles
are available exclusively in our Etsy shop!
The illustrated catalog of our first exhibit, "A Life in Quilts, ca. 1979 - 2019"
(held on Vashon Island, WA) is available on academia.edu.
Alice in Wonderland (small) quilt
The Great Chain of Quilts
1. November 10: Jean’s Quilt Day
2. November 21: Doug and Ryan’s Quilt Day
3. December 3: Joyce’s Quilt Day
4. December 13: Laurent and Véronique’s Quilt Day
5. January 13: Jayne’s Quilt Day
6. February 7: Our Quilt Day
7. February 26 : Andrea’s Quilt Day
8. May 6: Garance’s Quilt Day
9. July 5: Seannessy’s Quilt Day
10. July 29: Dana’s Quilt Day
Baby Teddy's quilt front
Alice in Wonderland quilt detail
Kimono silk quilt no. 1 (above) and no. 2 (below), glimmer in the afternoon soon
"Respect" quilts bring a positive political message!
(PAW readers: contact for
special offer on "Respect" quilts, until 1/20/21.)
11. September 29: Jane’s Quilt Day
12. December 15: The SPARK class’s Quilt Day, 2017,
Saint Mary’s College, South Bend, IN
13. July 22: Pam's Quilt Day
14. March 29: Baby Teddy's Quilt Day
15. May 30: Baby Olivia's Quilt Day
16. June 15: Baby Zoe's Quilt Day
17. August 14: Baby Tomas's Quilt Day
18. September 7: Baby Sofia's Quilt Day
19. January 4: Meghan's Quilt Day (and wedding day)
20. August 25: Emma's Quilt Day
21. October 5: Anyjah's Quilt Day ("Respect" quilt no. 1)
22. October 20: Charlie & Ana's Quilt Day ("Respect" quilt no. 2)
Quilt fans come in all
shapes and sizes. Puppy loves "Western Pacific" couch throw!
The "Frankenstein" quilt
(right) tells a wild story!
My SPARK classmates and me, with the quilt I made to commemorate our class experience, at graduation in 2017 (above, in my big old house in South Bend, Indiana--inspiration for A Spooky Tale of Spring, or How the Grumpy Mom Got her Cheer Back)